March 26, 2009

A New Reference for Flat!

Being raised in Iowa, I always felt the brunt of people saying that Iowa was one flat cornfield. To me, it is beautiful, rich, productive, rolling farmland—a patchwork of corn, beans and hay fields, dotted with white farm homes!

When Richard and I moved to Kansas for his first job after college, I learned to defend Iowa by comparing it to Kansas, which is really flat, but tilted. I think driving to Colorado from Wichita, Kansas, you drive at a slight angle uphill all the way.

But, after enjoying several very nice drives around Easton, St. Michaels, Royal Oaks, etc., in Maryland, my impression was that the elevation never varied 5 feet. That is flat! I could probably ride a bike there!

Harris’s Crab House
On the way back to the Baltimore airport, Sherry discovered I had never “picked” a crab and decided I shouldn't leave without that experience. Before:

And after!


The most obvious thing about picking crab is that it is a lot of work for the amount of food. Locals and other afficianadoes know it is not just about the food, but also, and more importantly, the fun and the attitude adjustment that goes along with picking crab! It wasn’t the season for Maryland crab, so we were actually eating Louisiana crab. Sherry assured me that Maryland crab is the best! She was a great coach, but I’m not sure I could do it again without a refresher course! I found a great tutorial on picking crab here.

No comments:

Post a Comment