January 30, 2017

Post 87: Mrs. Lloyd, Block #70 in the Farmer's Wife 1930s Sampler Quilt Sew Along


Mrs. Lloyd, the Block

This is the third block in a row framed with the same Flying Geese on each side. Complete the block with your best 4-patch corners and a Nine Patch center square.

Mrs. Lloyd, the Person

For me, this block is for Mrs. Lloyd Richardson. Her first name was Edna. She was officially my mother’s aunt, but she was only a few years older than Mom and they were more like cousins or even sisters, they were that close. When Mother talked about Edna, she never referred to her as Aunt Edna, she just called her Edna.

To complicate things, my Dad’s older sister was also named Edna, and both Mom and Dad identified her to my sister and me as Aunt Edna. It was all very confusing to little girls. So, one night when my sister Mary was trying to identify who was coming to the house, she said, “So, is it Aunt Edna who is coming or Just Edna?” That was the perfect solution. For the rest of their lives, Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd Richardson were “Just Edna” and Uncle Lloyd to us.

They had no children and lived around 20 miles away in the town that was the county seat. As a treat, we girls sometimes got to go and spend the night. Just Edna delighted in doting over us. I remember being absolutely awestruck at her salt and pepper shaker collection -- There were 6 or 8 glass shelves at every window all around the breakfast room loaded with dozens of different sets! I would love to know how many there really were. I’m sure in a little girl’s eyes 24 actual sets could seem like 200. Maybe there were 200. Right now, there are over 37,000 vintage salt and pepper shakers for sale on eBay! Someone had to own them! (Oh my, someday my grand kids will be saying that about fabric!) I was heartbroken when Just Edna and Uncle Lloyd moved to California when I was 6 or 7, and I think of them often whenever I see an interesting set of salt and pepper shakers.

😊

Are you ready for a new Sew Along?

Gnome Angel invited us to participate in a three-month sew along to make Jen Kingwell's Long Time Gone quilt -- you can use the same templates you used for the Farmer's Wife blocks!  Click here for more information.

My Mrs. Lloyd Block


Click on the image for a larger view. Click the link below to download the Chart for cutting and making Mrs Lloyd:

Visit these other Farmer's Wife Sew Along blogs, too, for sewing tutorials and other info about the Mrs. Lloyd block:
http://gnomeangel.com

http://www.bonjourquilts.com/






The Farmer’s Wife 1930s Sampler Quilt: Inspiring Letters from Farm Women of the Great Depression and 99 Quilt Blocks That Honor Them by Laurie Aaron Hird for Fons & Porter/F+W.





No comments:

Post a Comment