January 16, 2017

Post 85: Sarah, Block 91 in the Farmer's Wife 1930s Sampler Quilt Sew Along



I’m not counting, but do you realize there are only 10 block posts to go?


Sarah is a great review block. You have already used all of the techniques in countless blocks on this journey. So show off just a little!

Make sure the large triangles From Marti Michell template A-4 or pattern number 91C in your Flying Geese units are cut with the hypotenuse on straight -- preferably lengthwise -- grain.

Then make the perfect swirl press on your pinwheel, join the units and pat yourself on the back!

I never use that expression without thinking of a patchwork vest my friend Sally Paul made years ago. Here it is shown as a guest garment in Jean Wells's A Patchworthy Apparel Book published by Yours Truly, Inc. I think I mentioned before that Yours Truly, Inc. was the patchwork company Richard and I started in 1972 and sold in 1985. At the time I am writing this post, there are 16 copies available on eBay and a few on Abe Books.




My Sarah Block



Click on the image for a larger view. Click the link below to download the Chart for cutting and making Sarah:

Visit these other Farmer's Wife Sew Along blogs, too, for sewing tutorials and other info about the Sarah block:

http://gnomeangel.com

http://catandvee.blogspot.com/






The Farmer’s Wife 1930s Sampler Quilt: Inspiring Letters from Farm Women of the Great Depression and 99 Quilt Blocks That Honor Them by Laurie Aaron Hird for Fons & Porter/F+W.




No comments:

Post a Comment