December 14, 2015

Chart 23: Priscilla, Block #86 in the Farmer's Wife 1930s Sew Along



When a block isn't "template friendly" it doesn't always mean I'm going to substitute a new block that is easy to cut with templates. There are several blocks like Jewel and Priscilla that have very few pieces and are easy to cut and sew by hand or machine, just like the farm wives did in the '30s.

When I was arranging the order of the blocks, I decided to sprinkle in the "not template friendly" blocks so they wouldn't pile up at the end of the Sew Along.

Jewel (Chart #15, 11/16/15) had asymmetrical mirror-image pieces that led me to talk about cutting out a blouse front. That led me to dress patterns, and that made me think about what to do with dress patterns, and we included our first DIY with dress pattern tissue.

Priscilla is also an easy-to-cut-and-sew block, which again makes me think of garment sewing. That means this post has another idea for repurposing dress pattern tissue, and it's even easier than the first idea we posted.

Gift wrapping has never been one of my strengths! When open-top decorative gift bags with lots of tissue paper pushing out of the top appeared, I was fully on board, not to mention relieved. I'm just sorry it took me this long to think about using dress pattern tissue!



My Priscilla Block

Click on the image below for a larger view.

Click the link to download the Template Conversion Chart for Priscilla:


In addition to our template conversion PDF download, you will want to read Gnome Angel's tutorials for these blocks.




The Farmer’s Wife 1930s Sampler Quilt: Inspiring Letters from Farm Women of the Great Depression and 99 Quilt Blocks That Honor Them by Laurie Aaron Hird for Fons & Porter/F+W

No comments:

Post a Comment