April 4, 2016

Chart 45: Fabric Key and Fanny, Block #32 in the Farmer's Wife Sew Along


Making a Fabric Key

When I look at the pictures of blocks posted in the Facebook group this sew along, it appears some people are trying to mimic the colors in the blocks and others, not at all. For example, my red, black, gray and white blocks are marching to their own drummer! (Red and black were my high school colors, but we did not have enough students for a marching band.)

When we do the instructions on the PDF pages, we try to mimic the colors in the book to make it easier to relate one to the other. However, if there are more than a dozen pieces as well as three colors, I almost always have made a color key similar to what we suggest at the beginning of the PDF for Fanny.

It seemed like I was always searching for the right size piece of paper for my key so I finally asked Patti, our graphic designer, to make me a page of fabric keys. I printed several and cut them to size and clipped them to the book so they would be handy. We thought you might like to do the same so we added a page of 4 fabric keys to the PDF Conversion Chart for Fanny. You can print them as needed and keep them handy, too.


My Fanny Block

Click on the image for a larger view. Click the link below to download the Chart for cutting and making Fanny, and blank fabric keys (page 2 of the PDF):


From Marti Michell Chart #45

After you click on the above link, if you get the message you see in the image below, just click the blue Download button and the file should automatically go into your Downloads folder. If you don't know where your Downloads folder is, you may have to do a search for it on your computer. Or if it's not working on your iPad, look in your iBooks folder; that's where ours go.
 
 

 
VIn addition to our template conversion PDF download, you will want to read Gnome Angel's tutorials for these blocks.






The Farmer’s Wife 1930s Sampler Quilt: Inspiring Letters from Farm Women of the Great Depression and 99 Quilt Blocks That Honor Them by Laurie Aaron Hird for Fons & Porter/F+W.



2 comments:

  1. I really like it when you specify what can be used to check accuracy in the process of subunits! Thank you. I also appreciate the pressing lines arrows. Thank you for doing this. I suspect I will get many years of use from my templates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such a nice compliment. I hope you enjoy using your templates in many other projects. 😊

      Delete